The oil and gas industry faces significant business challenges in achieving optimal operational efficiency and improving RAMS outcomes. It is a high paced environment with process safety risks involving significant financial stakes and changing priorities. Additionally, operations are frequently managed in remote locations and permanently exposed to worldwide logistics issues.
An approach to help in facing those challenges lies in the development of equipment strategies that optimize operations and improve RAMS. It follows several critical steps, including selecting a suitable structure and high-level approach, defining individual scopes for equipment strategies, engaging in detailed strategy development and translating them into executable procedure. In that approach, the key to success is the continuous and proactive engagement of the site maintenance workforce all along the way. Once strategies are in place, a continuous improvement process will enable to drive toward operational excellence. Well documented strategies can also be translated from asset to asset subject to minor adjustments to the environment, therefore facilitating the operation readiness activities when new projects come on line. Ultimately, the development of equipment strategy libraries facilitates businesses' journey towards operational excellence, providing them with valuable tools and approaches to optimize their operations and achieve their goals.
• Challenges addressed by equipment strategies approach
• Detailed strategy development framework
• Implementation and ongoing use of strategies
Key take-aways from the session include
- Development of equipment strategies allows consistent approaches to maintenance which can lead to improvements in RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, and Safety)
- Success is highly dependent on the proactive involvement of the field teams planning/ executing the maintenance work in the field
- Approaches to development of equipment strategy libraries which assist businesses along a journey toward operational excellence